The Miller House and Garden first were introduced to America through articles in the magazines Architectural Forum (September 1958) and House and Garden (February 1959). Both publications used photographs taken by architectural photographer Ezra Stoller in April 1958.
The Millers sought to balance their competing desires to maintain family privacy and to acknowledge the exceptional designs of Eero Saarinen, Alexander Girard, and Dan Kiley. The solution was to allow publication of the house and garden but to prohibit publication of their name, the house’s location, and the construction costs.
For the next several days, we’ll be featuring documents that give insight to the process of photographing the Miller House and Garden for publication.